AWARD: For the thoughtful restoration and rehabilitation of this 1873/1908 historic structure, after damage by a disastrous fire in 2007, that has revitalized and enhanced its continuing use as a public market.
Designed by local architect Adolph Cluss, the market has been in continuous use for its original purpose for over 130 years. After the fire closed the market, the city constructed a temporary building across the street to keep the market operating while a $9 million reconstruction was underway.
The restoration opened the long-closed skylight in the roof, installed a modern HVAC system, modernized the lighting and other systems, and repaired all external and internal fire damage. The rehabilitated market draws customers not only from its Capitol Hill neighborhood but from across the city as well.