Carson-Pirie Scott Department Store
AWARD: for its state-of-the-art exterior restoration that included replication of important missing decorative elements of this 1899 National Historic Landmark, one of the most significant works of architect Louis Sullivan.
After purchasing the property in 2001, joseph Freed & Associates spent $200 million over a ten year period in restoring and renovating this
landmark. The work included replication of the building’s elaborate cornice that had been removed; the dismantling, restoration, and reinstallation of 5,000 decorative cast iron elements that are the structure’s signature, and the cleaning and repair of the building’s terracotta facades. Chicago
Renamed in honor of its famous architect, the building currently houses a mixed use of offices, an art school, a restaurant, and retail businesses.